Saturday, April 25, 2020

Grandma's One Egg Cake Recipe

Hi everyone!

I want to share another one of my grandmother's dessert recipes. Like her butter cookie recipe, we don't know where she got this one from. I'm not going to lie. This is not the most spectacular vanilla cake I've ever had. But if you have limited ingredients, it works well.


One Egg Cake



½ stick of butter
½ cup sugar
1 cup flour (sifted 3 times)
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Sprinkles (optional)
  1. Grease or butter a 8" x 8" cake pan. Add parchment paper to the bottom of the pan if desired. (This will help with removal of the cake.)
  2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Sift flour 3 times with baking powder and salt.
  4. Add egg to butter/sugar mix. Beat well.
  5. Add flour alternating with milk, beat well after each addition.
  6. Add vanilla.
  7. [Optional] Fold in sprinkles for a confetti cake.
  8. Transfer to the pan and bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester (e.g. knife, toothpick, piece of uncooked spaghetti, etc) comes out clean.
  9. Once cooled, remove from the pan and add icing if desired.
For the cake I made in the picture, I used the Quick and Almost-Professional Buttercream Icing recipe from All Recipes. It was quick and easy, which was what I needed when I made the cake.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment