Saturday, June 1, 2019

Fiber Arts Studio Tour 2019, Part 1

Today was a long day. 5 stops, 12 indie dyers and/or yarn producers in the Fiber Arts Studio Tour. I've put myself on a yarn-buying diet so I limited myself to no more than one skein per stop (mostly).

Here are the spoils of the day.

Stop 1: Avalon Springs Farm, Solitude Wool, and Feederbrook Farm


This stop was at the Avalon Springs Farm, which has angora goats and an alpaca. Avalon had a wide variety of colorways on display, including the one below.

What I purchased:
Pendragon Yarn from Avalon Springs Farm. Fingering weight. 100% superwash merino. Colorway: Hobbit House.

This yarn will likely be used for an upcoming test crochet piece.

Stop 2: Withers Wool



Withers Wool produces more "art" yarn than "standard" yarn. What I mean by that is "art" yarn is more go-with-the-flow and/or has embellishments such as feathers and beads. "Standard" yarn would be what we purchased at all other vendors on the tour. This makes Withers Wool unique. Cathy, the owner, gave us a short dying demo and explained her process from sheep to dyed roving.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment